Friday, May 12, 2006

Bailey's Week

Well, the Sorobon competition was on Tuesday, and it was interesting. Here is Bailey, not looking very excited, at his competition table. I was SO wrong about the competition. I thought it was only Kadena schools....nope....there were probably 10 schools, 188 competitors. Bailey was definitely the "rookie" here. He said, "Mom, those kids made me feel stupid." That is the first time he has ever said anything like that. What a humbling experience...ya think? Anyway, now that he's seen the competition and how it works (he had no idea what he was in for this year) he will be a much better competitor next year!!! I think he said he tied for 22nd place. See that little sorobon on his desk? That little thing adds and subtracts numbers into the trillions in a matter of seconds!!! It was fun to "listen" to 188 kids flipping those beads during the competition!!! Anyway.....next year!!!!!

Look at that cute little smile!!! I just love this picture. Well, this is from the geography bee. The spelling bee on Thursday was quite a disappointment. There were 40 competitors total. When they got down to 5, Bailey and another kid both missed their word, so they tied for 4th place....that stinks! What really stinks is the word he missed wasn't even on the study sheet they distributed.....pretty dirty, huh? Oh well. The geography went well, but could have gone better. There were 30 competitors total. Once they got down to three, the judges put one of the competitors into the final competition because she hadn't missed any questions. Bailey and another boy had both missed one. It made me SO mad (that's the kind of mom I am) because the question was about the country where Stonehenge is located. Everyone knows Stonehenge is in England, right? No, the judges said England was not an acceptable answer, and he had to say UK. Anyway, that was OUR fault, because we told him it is in England. So, he would have automatically gone to the final round with that girl had he gotten that correct. Instead, he and this other boy went round after round after round, competing for that slot. They both kept getting their answers correct. Then I heard Bailey say, "Can you please repeat the question." and I thought, "Oh shit....that can't be good!" He missed it, then the other kid got his correct. So, he got the third place trophy. I was very proud of him. He kicked butt. He studied SO much and did very well. He has his eye on first next year....already!

I am so glad this week is over! It's been a long week! We have a beach party to go to tomorrow. Todd is out at the beach tonight with the "guys".....stuffing and roasting the pig.....I'm sure there is a little beer drinking going on at the same time!!!!! So, the pig should be ready tomorrow afternoon for the families! Oh, is anyone else out there still in shock about Chris getting voted off American Idol????????????? I am so scared that freak-nasty Taylor is going to win now. Oh my gosh, what a gross thought! I must say this is the most disappointing season thus far :-(

7 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Belva Jean said...

Wow, I am very impressed with Bailey...sounds like he had a great time especially if he is already looking forward to next year. I was in the spelling bee in third grade and I was out on the first round mispelled the worcomfort. You can bet I know how to spell it now. As for American Idol...I'm still in shock. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Catherine fan (I voted a lot) so I didn't want her to go, but Chris?!? Please do not let Elliot win.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I haven't been watching AI as faithfully this year because I'm just alittle disappointed in the the contestants, BUT I for sure thought that Chris would have won! I'm with you on ole' freak nasty! God help us all if he wins!!! I can't wait for Jackson to start competing in all that neat stuff. Good job to Bailey!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Congrats Bailey and mom for doing such a good job!! Keep up the good work and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll get first place in all of them next year. So Kris, what's your secret?

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Bailey, we know how smart he is!! You'll get'em next year!!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Heather said...

WOW! Those are some great stats for Bailey! He really is a whiz kid! And that sorobon competition! I can't even FATHOM what those kids are doing with beads! And I'm not an AI fan...please, don't all stone me at once...but I've heard enough this season to know that Chris leaving was a HUGE shock! And I saw Taylor on the news once...he just looks weird, NOT Idol material!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Mel :-) said...

Bailey did such a great job! The fact that he even enjoys the competitions as much as he does is a huge credit to him!
YES I was SHOCKED to hear on the radio in UT this weekend that Chris got the boot! We still have all our shows from last Wed through last night DVRd...so much to catch up on!!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Bailey has teeth now! That is so cool. I think when you moved he still had his one big tooth in front. Congratulations on all his accomplishments. He's such a brain. Still would be a good catch for Tiara some day... :)

The monkeys are adorable... I can't believe how big they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home