Wednesday, March 28, 2007

flawless driving skills

I have always considered myself a "good" driver. I am very critical as a passenger. I always giggle or release a sigh of disgust as Todd bumps a curb during a turn, isn't centered and straight in a parking place, or does his "jerky" acceleration/breaking crap that makes us all car sick. I think he's a terrible driver, but I think everybody is a terrible driver. I am always yelling at people to speed up, slow down, get the hell out of my way, pay attention to the road, turn off your "I'm a dumb-ass blinker" (turn signal on when they aren't turning), and any other obvious act of stupidity that I see. Really, when I'm on the road, I am the only one who matters.
The streets here are very narrow. There is limited parking space, so people park on the main road in front of the houses. Only one car can fit down the road at one time. Being the courteous, kind driver that I am, tonight I moved over so someone else could use the road. S/he was stopped so I could go, so I went a little but needed to turn in front of her to get on my street. So, I moved over so she could go before I turned. I swear....that stupid-ass car just magically appeared on the side of the road as I took it out!!!! It was a short little thing (compared to my beastly SUV I need a step-up to get in) and I didn't even see it :o) Connie was with me and we both just thought, "Holy shit" at the same time.....I can't even type the noise that it made as it scraped all down the entire length of my car! Then, I got out and looked at the other car first. I giggled a little (what else could I do at that point?) and thought the other car lost the fight. It was dark, and I saw the lights on in the house, but nobody saw me :o) I drove home :o) Connie and I tossed around the idea of not even telling Todd to see how long it would take him to notice.....nah, that wasn't going to work. So, I told him (as I was laughing about it). He didn't find it humorous.....what a stick in the mud! I asked him about our insurance....I guess nobody gets "that kind" of insurance here.....I don't know any of that stuff. So, I was just going to call it a night and get ready for bed. Can you believe he made me go knock on that door???? The moral compass of the family put his foot down :o) He said it was my duty to set the example for Bailey.....ya ya ya, I see his point. Honestly, I probably would have done it after I saw the cars in the daylight. I'm not dishonest, and it's probably only a few hundred dollars, I just didn't want to go knock and say, "Hey, I ran into your PARKED car." Duh! But I did. I won't go into the whole conversation, but, let's just say....they were cool. We talked about how we all graduated from OU :o) They are from Oklahoma. Their son (that's whose car I hit) is getting ready to go to OU this next year. They don't even want me to pay for it. We just stood out there and chatted for a while :o)
Anyway, Bailey wanted to know how much it is going to cost to get our car fixed. I told him we're not going to.....it's just scratched (from bumper to bumper...hehehehe) a little. He told me I am so redneck and he doesn't want to be seen in the car if I'm not getting it fixed. I think he'll change his mind during rainy season :o) Believe me, it's not my car that makes that kid look redneck.
I really do have impeckable driving skills. I am blaming this on 1) driving on the left side of the road is just stupid 2) people shouldn't be able to have such tiny cars and 3) I just came back from having a pedicure and my feet were still very relaxed.
Please don't ever be afraid to ride in the car with me.....I've never been in a "real" accident :o)

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger connie said...

Well....it was funny!! Jeff did not find the humor either, these guys are no fun. I am still laughing about it. At least it happened after the pedicure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home