Monday, January 08, 2007

School House Rocks

WARNING.....If dirty words bother you....don't read this post!
The past few weeks I've been asleep by 8:30 or 9:00 every night....nope, I'm not kidding. The break was WONDERFUL. Well, it's past midnight, and I'm sitting at the computer!!!! Gosh, that must mean school as started again...yep! I always put every assignment off until the last minute. I've always been like that and always will be. Anyway, I just finished my paper, but I'm wide awake. I had a double latte this afternoon and two more coffees a couple of hours ago. Usually, caffeine doesn't do this to me, but I'm awake, so I should post something :o)
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the conversation I had with Bailey this afternoon....brace yourself. I was cooking dinner and feeding Bennett on the counter when Bailey walks in the kitchen and asks (so innocently might I add), "Mom, do you know what a c*** is?" I froze....I couldn't even turn to him to make eye contact. Gosh, why couldn't he have waited 15 minutes and asked Todd when he got home from work? My mind went into overdrive....how do I respond? Play stupid or tell him???? Um, if I play stupid, how long will it be before he learns it from someone else? Will he learn the correct meaning? What else does he know? Okay, if I tell him, how many phone calls will I get from other parents???? That is a scary thought....I think of A Christmas Story....Do you know what Ralphie just said? Do you know who he heard it from? Well, I certainly don't want to have that phone call. So, what do I do? I had about a 2-hour conversation (silently) with myself in a matter of 5 seconds. I turned to him and said, "Yes, I know what a * is. Do you?" He said "no" but some girls at school asked him and his friend today. He said he told them "yes" because he thought they asked if he knew what a "cut" was. He looked at them like they were stupid and said, "uh, ya" and walked away. When the girls asked his friend, his friend said no, and the girls laughed at him. That's when Bailey heard the other word. So, it took every muscle in my face to keep from dying from laughter (and embarrassment) when I proceeded to give him a whole laundry list of words (and anatomically correct names/explanations) he'll likely be hearing in the next couple of years. He's already told me there are "prostitutes" in Jr High (that's less than a year away) and on the walls in the boys' bathrooms are names and "their rates", as he put it! It truly disgusts me to think that my little boy is learning this crap at school (I don't remember how old I was when I started hearing these things), but I guess I can be grateful he feels like he can come to us to ask us things without being embarrassed or getting into trouble. It's so hard raising kids....wish me luck....Lord, help me! As School House Rocks claims, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

5 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh Kris, I admire and applaud you for giving him the correct knowledge! Has he had "THE" talk yet?? When does that happen?? Kids grow up and learn so much so young. Jackson's school was on complete lockdown all day today due to some crazy person running around!!! SCARY!!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Yes, we had "the" talk a few years ago.....maybe 3rd grade (again, heard about it at school)! During that talk I didn't bring up words like blow***, f***, famous "numbers", etc....because I figured his mind was blown away with just the basic "the man puts his * in the woman's *." I'm using stars so my blog doesn't get hits from a bunch of pervs!!!!!! :o) Anyway, after yesterday's talk, his vocabulary has grown great numbers :o) He kept saying "gross" and "sick" when I was telling him. You know those words are going to come up though, and I don't want him to be the kid that gets laughed at because he doesn't know what they mean :o( Let's see, he'll be 12 in two weeks...I don't think he'll say they're "gross" and "sick" in another 5 years!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Mel :-) said...

I am sure you handled the conversation with Bailey much better than I would have! I think you did the right thing by telling him the truth as, like you said, he will hear it soon enough anyway now that he is almost 12. It really is scary to think about what is going on in schools! YIKES! :-0

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

What a hard conversation to have. Teaching junior high, I know just how much kids are exposed to. It's a hard world out there, but you are a good mom!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yesterday I was baking cookies with the sixth graders and a couple of girls started singing the Barbie song... I'd never heard it before. Then I heard the entire version on a disk that the school dance teacher had lent to me and it's horrible! Yeah, there's worse out there and I'm pretty naive with current music, but the stuff kids this age sing about/hear/know is not appropriate. Tiara knows a lot of stuff I've taught her too - honesty is best, but I'm so glad she doesn't come home singing these songs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home